What is PHP?
PHP is a server side programming language that is mostly used for web applications.
There are many advantages of choosing PHP language over others. We will read more about them in this tutorial.
Uses of PHP?
Using PHP, you can create static as well as dynamic websites. Here are some of the common uses of PHP programming.
- PHP is able to perform various arithmetic and logical operations on given data.
- PHP can store and retrieve data from database.
- You can create dynamic functionality in any website using PHP. Few examples are: Login, Registration, Gallery, Survey, Forums and many more.
- PHP can transfer data among different web pages in a website.
- You can create almost any kind of website using PHP. Some of the examples are Business, personal, shopping, blogging etc
- PHP is widely used for web applications but it can be used as a general-purpose programming to manage data offline as well.
Features of PHP:
- PHP is easy to learn for beginners.
- PHP Language runs on almost all operating systems. For example: Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X.
- PHP is compatible with various web servers. For example: Apache, NGNIX, IIS, etc
- PHP supports a wide range of database management system like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL.
- PHP is open source and free. We can download it from the official PHP website: www.php.net
- The full form of PHP is “PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor”
- Initially, PHP term stood for Personal Home Page.
- Rasmus Lerdorf has developed PHP language initially in 1995.
- PHP is used as a procedural programming as well as object oriented programming.
- Some of the biggest online brands use PHP in some form or functionlity. Some examples are: Facebook, WhatsApp, Wikipedia, Flickr, jQuery Blog and WordPress are powered by PHP.
What is the future of PHP?
Today, PHP totally dominates the web applications on the internet. W3Techs says that PHP is used by more than 80% among the all top websites in the world. Therefore, PHP is likely to remain strong in the market for the various upcoming years.
Why PHP is widely used programming language in the world?
- As PHP is an open source, it becomes afforadable to purchase web hosting for PHP website. Also, PHP web development cost is low as compared to many other languages.
- PHP language is easy to setup on different enviorments using softwares like XAMPP, WAMP, LAMMP.
- PHP programming syntax is easy to learn and understand.
- There is huge support available on internet for PHP to find solutions for any problem. There are more than 100000 PHP questions has been answered on StackOverFlow
- You can find many PHP scripts online for your projects or websites.
Example of a Simple PHP program:
As of now, you have a basic idea about the PHP Programming Language. We will now have a look on a simple PHP program. This program consists of PHP opening & closing bracket. You need to write PHP code within these brackets. Then, we have used a simple “echo” statement to display a simple message on the browser screen.
echo "Hello, This is a simple PHP program!";