In simple words, Python is a powerful, popular and multi-purpose programming language. In technical terms, Python is interpreted, high-level, object-oriented language that can be used for general purpose, app development and web development.
The Popularity of Python:
According to Stack Overflow Survey 2019, Python is the 4th most popular technology ahead of Java, C#, and PHP. Python is considered the fastest-growing major programming language used by 41.7% of developers.
History of Python:
- Python was developed by Guido van Rossum in the late 1980s as a successor to the ABC language.
- The implementation of Python was started in December 1989.
- Python is derived from various languages such as ABC and Modula-3.
- In 20 February 1991, the first version (0.9.0) released.
- In this version, Python had support for classes with inheritance, exception handling, functions, and datatypes such as list, dictionary, string.
- The major version of Python is 3.0 which is released on December 3, 2008.
Here are a few features which make Python one of the popular programming languages.
- Python has simple programming (English language like) syntax which makes it easy to learn for beginners.
- As Python is an interpreted language, it can be executed directly without compilation.
- Python allow us to write code in fewer lines as compared to others which also makes it highly productive language.
- It is easy to debug Python programs as it handles error efficiently.
- Python is highly compatible with major platforms and databases.
- Python can be used for general purpose, software development and web development.
- Python langauge is a free and open source programming language.
- It supports object-oriented programming as well as procedure-oriented language.
- Python is widely used in data science & machine learning.
In the next chapters, we will learn more about python programming step by step.