SEO – Images
Images & Multimedia plays an important role in websites. It is important to optimize images for SEO to boost your ranking.
Most of the time, SEO talks about content and keywords, but Images also plays an essential roles there. They are extremely important for user experience as well as for search engines.
Images Enhance User Experience:
If we talk about user experience, a website looks interesting and interactive using images. What if you found yourself on a webpage that looked like a Word document filled only with text on a white background, you wouldn’t feel like the website was trustworthy or memorable. In fact, research verifies that people are more likely to read content that includes an image and remember it for a long time afterwards.
As images enhance the user experience, they ultimately help you with search engine optimization as well. This is because Google’s algorithm pays attention to behaviour metrics that reflect user experiences, like bounce rates and the amount of time visitors spend on a web page.
Optimizing Images for SEO:
You can optimize images directly for search engines by following Image related best practises. Where the average visitor to your web page will only see the image itself, Search Engine crawlers see the text behind the relevancy of image and page content.
Example of SEO Optimized Image Tag:
In this example, you can see three important SEO attributes for images. This includes Image name, Alt attribute & Title attribute in the image tag.
<img src="tourism-places-in-delhi.jpg" title="List of tourist places in delhi" alt="List of Tourist places in delhi" />
You can learn more about Image Tag
Use ALT attribute in Images
Alt stands for alternative text in HTML images. You should always use ALT attribute in images because of the following benefits in SEO.
- Sometimes, an image fails to load in a web page because of the wrong folder path or image has been deleted somehow. Here, the text mentioned in ‘ALT’ is displayed about the image. It helps users to understand that which kind of image was included there.
- The search engines can not read text on images. Therefore, your image accompanied with alt tag tells the search engine about the type of image and it helps to show the right images to the users when searching for pictures. It is wise to include either important page keywords or keywords about what image contains.
- Alt tags are very useful for the visually impaired person when they use screen readers to browse webpages. Alt tag helps screen readers to understand what is being displayed on the screen.
9 Tips to Optimize Images for SEO
- Always use original images if possible
- Use image that are relvant to your page content
- Images should be of high quality
- It is better to compress images to reduce size and increase page load speed
- Always use appropriate image name. It is good to include two or three keywords
- Make use of proper ALT attributes in image tag
- Add images to your sitemap.
- Try to host images on your own server and include minimum external images.
- Use proper title attribute in image tag.
If you provide enough information for Google to understand the role and type of images, it will improve your ranking in Google Image Search as well as the website’s overall search results.
Important SEO Tutorials:
|Exercises & Assignments|
|No Content Found.|
|Interview Questions & Answers|
|No Content Found.|