SEO – URLs and File names
Website URLs plays an important role in SEO. It is recommended to keep your website URLs short and relevant. However, it is also important to include important keywords related to your page content. This helps users to identify content what they are looking for. Also, this helps search engine to index proper pages for relevant keywords.
To optimize your website URL structure for SEO, you need to take care of various elements.
- Give a proper name to your web page which is also referred as a slug.
- Choose an appropriate domain or subdomain name related to your business or content.
- Having proper name for different media files on webpage, such as images, videos etc also helps SEO.
SEO for Page name:
If you create your webpage using some programming language code (such as PHP, JSP, ASP or just HTML), then your page name may look likes about.html, contact.php. If you use some programming tools (framework or content management system), then your page name generated dynamically without the file extension.
What is Slug?
Generally (Especially in WordPress) a Page or Post slug is a part of website URL which uniquely identifies your web page. Example: www.website.com/slug. You can also refer to the last part of the URL after the slash (/). This is important for users and search engines. Here, you should include a few important keywords which will improve your website URL for search engines.
Examples of few page names or slug:
SEO for File name:
A webpage can include or embed various media elements like images, audio, documents, pdfs, and videos. You should provide meaningful file names that are relevant to file content. This helps users as well as search engines to find the required content.
Examples of good file names:
Tips to optimize website URLs
- The website URL should be short and descriptive.
- A page URL should include 2 to 4 important keywords related to page.
- URL length is not a hard requirement and it sometimes can be very short or long to target appropriate keywords. For example: We use long sentences for interview questions page names to target users who mention whole question as a google query.
- Do not use generic or non-meaningful names such page-1.html or abc123.html
- We recommend to use hyphen rather than with underscore to separate keywords.
Important links to learn more about SEO File names:
|Exercises & Assignments|
|No Content Found.|
|Interview Questions & Answers|
|No Content Found.|